February 8, 2012

Trendy

Ok, so I'll fully be the first to admit I am 100% guilty to, at times, submitting to trends.

Whew, happy to have gotten that off my chest.

Now, not to worry, I'm not about to post about going all hipster on you (but if you'd like the step-by-step tutorial of how to do so, you can visit HERE to learn). I'm merely accepting the somewhat embarrassing fact that at times I too fall victim to the evil thing known as trendy. However, I try to be fairly discriminatory when it comes to trends, because ladies, we must admit, sometimes a trend becomes a trend and it's a good one that should be around.

A few trends I'm more than happy to have followed in suit in are boots, copious amounts of scarves, huge bags, more huge bags, and dark hues of nail polish. All of these have now worked their way into the permanent collection, so hopefully they won't be looked down upon in the near future. Heck, even if they are, I love 'em, so they won't be going away any time soon.

Anyway, on the tail of that, my most recent "trend" I've adopted is the painted nails with one lone sparkly one.
These lovely nails are not the latest creation on my tips, but they definitely helped inspire. It's cute, no? I went back and forth deciding how I felt about it. On one hand (ha ha), I love it because I love a bold color on my fingers (totally fell in love with the neon colors that seemed to be everywhere this summer), but I didn't think I wanted to commit to such a bright color + lots of sparkle and glitter. When it comes to the stage more is always better, but when it comes to my every day life, I actually lean more towards the less is more mindset.

However, for some reason this idea stuck with me. So when I was re-doing my nails late last night (hmmm... maybe that's the reason for the more daring choice- note to self, make more decisions with the help of sleep deprivation, sometimes it works), I decided why the heck not. Well, it may have been that combined with a little indecisiveness due to the new colors in my palette (I'm the proud owner of OPIs line made for the Muppet movie that came out over the holidays) and this allowed for multiple colors to be used. Either way, it came out well and it doesn't feel nearly as "daring" as I thought it would. Or un-uniform and lacking symmetry. Not a fan of either of those things usually, but I had a thought that kind of helped it all.

The nail dubbed special enough to stand out from the crown is my ring finger on my left hand, ie, home base for my wedding ring. At first I thought it'd be too much, but then I started thinking it may be nice to have a little additional bling there. Also, it helps for when I don't have my wedding bling (which is a good majority of the time).

As I mentioned in passing in a previous post, I'm a nanny for a family. Besides taking care of the kiddoes, another part of my job is to help with the cleaning. Whether that be dishes, laundry, or keeping the bathrooms in a state of usefulness instead of complete disarray, it's part of my daily duties. With all the cleaning and hands being in the water and soap and within close proximity to drains, I generally leave my wedding band safe on my ring holder at home. I've done the wear it and take it off when I need to, but then I always have that split second, stomach dropping, heart stopping moment when I look and don't see the ring and forget if I took it off before hand or not, so I just decided I'd stop wearing it when I go to work.

Although practical, I do miss being able to look at my hand when I need a little pick-me-up or being able to catch it out of the corner of my eye and smiling because of what it stands for. Now, I have somewhat of a stand in. While my other nine digits are a lovely reddish-purple (the Wocka-Wocka color in the line), my ring finger is all sparkly and shiny thanks to Designer De Better, topped with Rainbow Connection. Admittedly not quite the same, but it definitely makes me smile when I see it.

I guess it just proves that sometimes following a trend isn't all bad. Well, as long as it's not acid wash denim. That can stay back where we all left it.

1 comment: